Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Steak Salad

Sorry I have been MIA the last few months. Spring sports and end of year activities have had us in schedule overload. When I do have a few minutes for myself I end up trying to amp up my summer wardrobe, grocery shop or work on the endless piles of laundry around our house! I am still amazed that a family of four can go through as much laundry as we do! 


But enough about my crazy schedule because everyone's schedule is crazy right?? With that said, you will want to add this salad in your menu rotation ASAP because this is frankly one of the easiest dinners I have ever made. We are talking under 30 minutes from prep to table. Top that Rachael Ray!


My husband is a huge steak fan and I love any kind of salad so when I found this perfect marriage of the two on Cheeky Kitchen I knew it would be a winner at our dinner table. 


It not only looks pretty, it's actually pretty healthy. The broiled steak is tender and I love the color palette with red and yellow tomatoes and green asparagus. I have never met a cheese I didn't like so the addition of the Gorgonzola cheese and a sprinkling of walnuts gave it that wow flavor. 


So, go make this for dinner tonight! You will not be disappointed. 


Enjoy! 



Ingredients:

1 pound top sirloin steak, cut about 1 inch thick
12-15 cherry tomatoes
12-15 sweet yellow tomatoes
1 bunch asparagus, cut in half
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 ounces gorgonzola cheese
1/3 cup walnuts

Directions:

Preheat the oven to broil. Transfer a top rack of your oven to the uppermost spot in the oven. Place the steak on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Scatter the tomatoes, asparagus, and chopped shallot across the baking sheet. Drizzle everything with olive oil, sprinkle with an ample amount of fresh-ground pepper and salt the pop the baking sheet onto that top shelf of your preheated oven.
Broil the steak on one side for 5-8 minutes, you'll know it's ready to flip when the edges of the steak begin to brown slightly. Flip the steak over and return the baking sheet to broil until the steak is cooked to your favorite doneness (for us, that usually an additional 4-6 minutes until it's cooked perfectly medium). Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes on your stovetop.
Slice the steak into long, thin strips. Toss with the asparagus and tomatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with gorgonzola crumbles, walnuts, and an extra helping of ground pepper. Serve immediately.





No comments:

Post a Comment